Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Living Room Progress & Before Hardwood Floors

I thought I'd share our living room currently & before some big changes! We moved into our new house at the end of the summer, so every room is still a work in progress. For the last few months, we’ve been mostly focused on our living room. It’s where we relax & play as a family and is the area where we spend most of our time. 

Right now, the room is pretty eclectic. Floral and polka dot pillows. A guitar on the wall. It needs art on the walls and something to tie everything together, so that's what I'll be working on in the next few weeks months!

Here are a few current/before photos of our living room:


The view when you first walk into the house.

Apparently, our living room was once two rooms. Now, it’s one great room, separated by a double-sided stone fireplace. We broke the room up into our TV area on one side and Raegan’s area on the other. The left side, or Raegan's area, never ever looks like this! It's usually filled with books, toys, stuffed animals, chalk, playing cards & anything else she's in the mood to play with, all over the floor. 



Here’s what we’ve done so far:
Painted. We painted the walls a neutral color, Behr in Sculptor Clay, and the fireplace in Elephant Skin. We still need to do touch-ups on the fireplace.
Added crown molding. Alex and my dad did this one weekend and it adds so much to this room. Looks amazing. Now we're antsy to get crown molding up throughout the house!
Gallery wall. We framed and hung some of our favorite photos. Funny photos from our wedding, pictures from Hawaii over the summer, and being silly with Raegan. I love this wall. 
New fans. We weren’t a fan (get it?! ha!) of the fans that were in the house when we moved in, so we switched them out to these. (And when I say we, I mean Alex :)
Fireplace doors. When we moved in, the fireplace didn’t have doors. So little hands were always getting in there & the cat would hideout in there. Not any more. It makes the fireplace look more finished & put together.

A view from the other side. 

Our gallery wall, random pillows and blankets!

This room still has a ways to go until it’s finished, but it’s getting there!

Here are a few things we’ll be working on in the next couple months (I’ll update with photos too!):
Hardwood floors. We snatched up some dark bamboo flooring on sale that we are so excited to install! I think it will turn this room from nice to awesome. I can’t wait! Alex starts installing them this weekend & I can't wait to see how it transforms this room!
Curtains. We hung plain white Ikea curtains, but I plan to add a fun blue fabric to the bottom. Still searching for the perfect fabric though. Stay tuned!
Artwork. Our walls are in desperate need of artwork. They’re pretty naked right now, but I have some ideas. Raegan & I will be doing some art projects soon & I will frame some of her best work! ;) I’d also love to get a large world map to hang up.
Fun pillows. I will be making some pillows in the next few weeks that will go on the couch and white chair. (I will do a post soon on some of the fabrics I am thinking of using, so stay tuned!)

I can’t wait until this room is finished, especially so we can tackle some of the other rooms next! 

If you just moved into a new home or don't know where to start with decorating a room, here are a few tips that will hopefully help you get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Comments make us happy! :)