Tuesday, March 4, 2014

A Typical Morning With a 16-Month-Old

I haven't done any posts all about Raegan yet, so I thought it would be fun to do a day-in-the-life post. I love reading other bloggers' typical day posts because it gives people a glimpse into their real life — no staged photos, no perfectly clean house, but instead a typical day and real life. 

Tuesday morning: It's about 6:30 a.m., Alex is up getting ready for work and I'm half asleep but listening to Raegan on the monitor babble and talk to her stuffed animals. This is when Alex and I both usually say, "Could she be any cuter?!" She is so happy in the morning and loves repeating words in her crib until we grab her. It makes me smile every morning. 

Just before 7, Alex goes into her room. I hear her hand him her Kittie, Monkey and Booger Bear, one at a time. She comes into the kitchen with Alex and gets a few bites of his breakfast while I put my contacts in and brush my hair. 

Around 7 a.m., Alex says his goodbyes and I love yous and tries to sneak a kiss, or two, from Raegan. 


It's time for breakfast. Raegan is having half a pancake leftover from the weekend, sliced strawberries and Greek yogurt. Lots of "uh-ohs," "mores," two spoons on the floor and yogurt all over her face while Sadie, our dog, sits underneath her high chair hoping to get anything Raegan doesn't want. Raegan kisses her pancake and tries to share her food with me. When she gets squirmy, I know breakfast is over. 



At 7:45 a.m., I try to get a few things done around the house. A pile of Raegan's clean clothes needs to be put away. What should take less than 5 minutes takes 15. Raegan takes random things out of the bottom drawer of her dresser (this drawer is in desperate need of organization, but it's become more of a junk drawer), she finds a picture of a hippo and gives him a kiss, the dog chases the cat under the crib and Raegan tries to get under there, but not before I catch her. Finally everything is put away. 

It's time for a diaper change, but only if I can catch her running away from me, down the hall, with a pair of pink overalls on her head. 

I make the bed around 8 a.m. while Raegan sits on a chair in our bedroom, talking with Siri on my phone. We come out to the living room, I turn on Jack Johnson and do a quick sweep and vacuum of the hardwood. 




Now it's time to play! Raegan usually picks a few books that she becomes obsessed with for the day. Today it's "Olivia Helps With Christmas" and "Where is Love, Biscuit?" We read both over and over and over again while she points to the doggie and kittie. I grab some chalk and let her play on her table, but today instead of drawing, she's more interested in pushing a chair around the living room. It eventually ends up by the couch and Raegan gets frustrated because she can't push it on the rug. 



It's 9:15 a.m. and time for snack. Leftover yogurt and strawberries from breakfast while we sit on the floor. Raegan's back to her happy self, dancing, eating crackers, practicing tippy toes and being followed by Sadie, whose hoping to get some crumbs. Raegan spots Frankie, our cat, on the chair. She pets him, hugs him, shares a cracker with him and pulls his tail until he gets grumpy and she gets annoyed with me telling her to be careful for the hundredth time. 




At 9:30 a.m., I grab some of her toys and books and take them into my room so I can take a quick shower while Raegan entertains herself. I can watch her point to the doggie in her book and climb up and down the chair. We go back into the living room and she plays with Sadie and some of her toys. 

By 10 a.m., Raegan is starting to get a little grumpy, but I don't want her to nap yet, so I distract her by making a healthy milkshake with banana, peanut butter and cocoa powder. We sit on the couch and thankfully she shares her milkshake with me. 


By 10:40 a.m., she's ready for her nap. We do a quick diaper change, I grab her milk, stuffed animals and put her down in her crib. Once she's finished her milk, she talks to her animals for sometimes half an hour, then the house is quiet. She's asleep! Ahhh. And now I can get stuff done! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Comments make us happy! :)